Speak some nyan

Monday, July 4, 2011

Review: Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner and L'oreal Super Liner Liquid Eyeliner

I've been trying to experiment with guy makeup as I'm cosplaying a guy in my next photoshoot. Most importantly I have to get my character's eyes right which is why I've been experimenting with eyeliners lately. All this while I've been using my P2 Kohl Eyeliner as I normally just swipe it and smudge for a smokey eye look. Sadly this eyeliner can't last as it wears off after a while due to my oily lids so this eyeliner is a no-no for my photoshoot. Liquid/gel eyeliner is always the solution for a longer lasting, non-smudging application but my clumsy hands just won't allow me to swipe the brush over my lids in one straight line!

Arisa had kindly offered her gel eyeliner for me to experiment (thanks dear!) and I've also bought the L'oreal Super Liner recently when the item was on sale at Watsons =D

Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner


The eyeliner is in a glass pot and comes with a brush. Some would call it a more affordable version of Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner but I can't vouch for that since I've yet to try Bobbi Brown's. The eyeliner retails for RM39.90 and comes in 3 colors: Black, Brown and Limited Edition Blue (which is gone by now unless you chance upon it at warehouse sales XD;;) 

• Oil-free formula holds highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
• Smudge-proof and waterproof for 24 hours
• Most intense line for lasting drama                                                  
• Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested
• Contact lens safe

I'm good with the long lasting and smudge-proof. I can't say it holds for 24 hours because I couldn't even keep the eyeliner on for an hour. Why? The problem lies in the brush. I really do appreciate that Maybelline includes the brush with the gel liner and it does pick up the gel really well. Upon swiping the brush on my lids, I found the brush to be really rough and scratchy. It hurt like a bitch when I tried applying on my water line. By the time I was done, my whole eye was twitching in irritation. 

Removing the eyeliner was a real chore as well. It was just TOO stubborn. I used my Biore cleansing wipes followed by Shu Uemura's cleansing oil then topped it up with Fasio's makeup remover to remove every single bit of that eyeliner. Crazy but yea that finally did the trick =.=;; I guess that's how LONG-LASTING it is.

My advice: Keep the gel, ditch the brush. Just invest about RM15-20+ for a decent brush and save your eyes. My eyes were fine when I applied the liner with one of my own brushes. Just make sure you wash it immediately after application or else the gel will get stuck to the brush and damage it.

L'oreal Super Liner


Got this on discount so I only paid about RM30 which is cheaper than Maybelline's Gel Eyeliner hehe~ The product comes in a small sleek tube which is easy to bring around when traveling =D Comes in the standard colors of Black and Brown.

Superliner is a liquid eyeliner in a special sponge tipped pen for the creation of fine lines or thick, sultry flicks. Colour is applied with precision and ease and dries without smudging. Ophthalmologically tested.
The sponged tip
The sponge tipped is hard and stiff(god that sounds horribly wrong) which makes it super easy to draw the lines! In fact, the applicator is so comfortable that I can just press the whole sponge onto my lid instead of slowly drawing the line like using a paintbrush. After drawing, it dries up pretty fast and lasted pretty long without any touch ups. Here's my favorite part! By the end of the day, I just rub the corner of my eye gently and then PEEL the whole eyeliner off my lids! XD I'm in love now! I do hope L'oreal won't discontinue this product because this is a real gem! *touch wood*

From the looks of this read, you can definitely see which eyeliner I'm leaning towards to XD;;

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the Maybelline's brush is pretty rough, but then you arent supposed to press it too hard, and also to "dig up" more gel.

    Im using the Maybelline's gel liner, and it works fine for me.
    Just that the brush is slightly rough, and advisable to clean it everytime after usage because when it is hard, it is rough.

    So far I'm using Loreal's gentle eye makeup remover, it works to remove nicely. Just that it needs a few swipes of cottons (i like to put lotsa eyeliner in my case hahaha). Trick is to wet the cotton pad with the remover, and then place the cotton pad onto the eyeliner and wait for a while for the it to soak through, then only wipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiko>> I'm quite gentle but I still find it quite painful compared to using my own persona brush. =(

    Loreal's makeup remover was one of my first makeup removers but I ditched it because it stings like hell when removing eyeliner from the waterline and inner lids. Also, it's horribly oily (which is probably why it's very effective) and I'm not comfortable with that feeling >_<;;

    ReplyDelete